Saturday 29 September 2012

Easy Updo Tutorial: Messy Side Bun (Good for thick hair!)


When I started my make up artistry course I had no idea that hairdressing is such a big part of it!  I thought they usually had separate hair stylists, but apparently more often than not it will be MUA who are left to do the hair - which is slightly terrifying!  I've never had any experience of hairdressing/styling at all, I can't even do my own (partly because of how thick/heavy my hair is, it never plays along...) so I am needing as much practice as I can get.  Fortunately my auntie is a hair stylist and she came round to show me a few simple hair styles that I can use



  1. Make a side ponytail close to the nape of the neck.
  2. Split the hair into three sections.
  3. Fishtail plait* each of the sections.
  4. Pull out the folded pieces (the bits that you bring over when plaiting) on each side to double the size of the plait.
  5. Lastly, all you need to do is take the 3 plaits and wrap them around the bobble in an artistic sort of way!  Then fix them using kirby grips, you might need quite a few to adjust the shape to your liking.  I find the best way to start is to use the middle section first, bring it under the left hand one and over the top.  It's totally up to yourself though.  You just need to play around with it until you're happy with it.
This is only the second time I have done this updo and I quite like it, I'm sure it will get better the more times I practice it.

The reason that this method is good for thick hair is that you have total control over the hair at all times, if you just attempted it with loose hair, bits would be falling out all over the place!

*To do a fishtail plait, split the hair into two and then take a small piece from the back of one and add it to the other section, then do the same for that section.  Obviously it is much easier to understand if you see it so if you still don't follow then just search on youtube for a tutorial :)

<3

10 comments:

  1. What a cute hairstyle, I need to try it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for this step by step! It was really helpful. My sister has thick hair, and she's always looking for different ways to style it. I'm going to have to show her this! It's so cute, and you did great :) Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww you're welcome! Hope you get on okay with it! I've got a few more coming up but going to space them out a bit :)

      Delete
  3. Amazing! definitely going to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know I'm sooo late, but I've just attempted my first fishtail braid, just by doing what you said, and it worked. Yay thanks! Oh and new follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry haha, that was the second time I'd attempted it, it's surprisingly easy! So glad you managed it!! Thank you for following!! :D

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comments, they are much appreciated! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...