I have been meaning to do this for ages but I've just not had the motivation for doing hair at all recently - college kind of put me off haha, but here we go finally! It is the precursor to this post here where I did a casual bun but skipped over the first part where I said put the hair into a high ponytail.
This is a method my hairstylist auntie showed me which is good for holding thick hair up in a ponytail when the weight of it can make it droop. It would also be good for thin hair too though I think as it would give it extra support - just use finer bobbles if you have thin hair. I haven't tried this on myself (I'm useless with my own hair anyway!) so I can't say how easy it would be so if you are wanting to wear this yourself you might want to get a friend to give you a hand!
- Brush the hair and decide where you want the ponytail to sit. Overestimate the height slightly as it can usually end up being a bit lower than where you originally planned it to be.
- Using a rat tail comb, place the point where you want the ponytail to be and run it from the centre out to the top of the ear and section that bit off, and do the same for the other side. Now you should have a top and bottom section.
- Ignore the top half and just work with the bottom section. Using your brush, get all the bumps out from the hair underneath, brushing up the way towards the top section. You can spray the brush with hairspray and smooth the hair to hep hold it in place and get rid of flyaways - I forgot...
- Using a thinner bobble if possible, secure this bottom ponytail as close to the top section as you can.
- Next let down the top section and brush it. Then smooth it all back holding it tight and using the bobble you've already got in as a guide. Hold it in position over the first bobble and brush it all into place, you can use the hairspray technique again to give a smooth finish.
- Finally place a bobble over the whole bundle of hair, including the bobble you put in first.
Holding the hair up, you can see how it looks from underneath - this is why a thinner bobble is preferable for the first one. However from the top it just looks like a normal ponytail! Anyway I hope this helps, if you try this on yourself please let me know whether it's successful or not, I'm sure it could be adapted...